Your Medication Methylphenidate
Methylphenidate is also known as the brand names: Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate, Ritalin, and Quillivant.
Methylphenidate comes in a tablet, capsule, transdermal patch, and oral suspension dosage form.
Methylphenidate is most commonly used for attention deficit problems with hyperactivity (ADHD). It could also be prescribed for other reasons, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. If methylphenidate is taken throughout the day. take the last dose by 3pm to avoid issues falling asleep.
Standard dosing of methylphenidate ranges from 5mg to 60mg daily.
Some side effects with methylphenidate include dizziness, headache, upset stomach, feeling nervous and excitable, loss of appetite, and weight loss.
Do not take methylphenidate if:
• You currently take or have taken an MAO inhibitor medication within the past 14 days
• You have marked anxiety, tension, and agitation
• You have glaucoma
• You have a family history or diagnosis of Tourette syndromes or tics
When taking methylphenidate, remember it is important to tell your doctor or pharmacist if you:
• Have a heartbeat that does not feel normal
• Have a very bad headache, upset stomach, or are throwing up
• Have blurred vision
• Start taking new medications, vitamins or supplements.
If you miss a dose of methylphenidate:
• Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it. Do not take this drug after 6 PM.
• If it is close to the time of your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
• Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
The best way to store methylphenidate:
• Store at room temperature
• Protect from light
• Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom or refrigerator.
• Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
• Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.